Aaron put out a call for suggestions on the WaSP site a while back. PPK did the same on Quirksmode. The results are being gathered together in a wishlist wiki with an eye to prioritising the bugs and fixes.
Quite a few of IE’s issues stem from the way it treats the
name attribute. As documented in this email, giving an
input element a
id. I found that out the hard way after the DOM Scripting book was published.
The image gallery example used in chapters 4, 6 and 7, features a paragraph with the ID “description”. All the code examples given in the book work just fine but I started to get bug reports from people using the image gallery script in the wild. For some reason, it just wasn’t working in Internet Explorer.
It turned out that each of these implementations had one thing in common: they were all using a
meta element in the
head of their pages that had
name="description". As far as IE was concerned, that was the element with the unique ID “description”.
This issue has been flagged up by PPK but, alas, too late for the book.
I’m loathe to add the “description” problem to the errata because the only error I made was choosing a semantically meaningful ID that happened to clash with a common meta tag. Still, it’s something to remember for future reference: for the sake of IE, avoid using the same value for a
name attribute and an
id attribute on the same page.
Posted by Jeremy on Saturday, November 25th, 2006 at 7:01pm